Thursday, January 27, 2011

996. "It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." Vince Lombardi


Let's face it, no one lives a perfect life. At one time or another you will get knocked down. You might lose your job, a family member, you may pull a Bill Buckner in you High School State Championship. All of these are excellent reasons to get down on yourself and be depressed. However, if you stay too long in this state of mind, the event has beaten you. 

Ive been there before. I once lost a Little League game on the last play, in the Summer League Soccer League Championship, I scored an own goal, and while trying to impress the varsity soccer coach when I was in 8th grade, I broke my leg during a game. All of these could have brought me into a mental state that collapsed my life for an extended period of time. 

Admittedly, each action brought about a brief bit of agony as is only natural. Everyone after an even like these WILL be affected, but it's what you make of these events that determine who you are, determine your character. In each of those events listed above, I eventually prevailed. In Little League, we made it to the championship, in the Soccer League, we came back from trailing 2-0 to win, and when the doctor told me it'd be a full year before I might have the possibility to play sports again, I was trying out for the basketball team after 6 weeks.

The truth of the matter is that anything can be overcome with a proper state of mind. The past can't be changed, but your state of mind can. Accept that something happened, and move on. However, don't FORGET that it happened because it is important to learn something from these moments, So keep a good head on your shoulders, learn something, and eventually you will develop great character.

No comments:

Post a Comment