Wednesday, January 26, 2011

997. "I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun."

"I never did a day's work in my life. It was all fun." -Thomas Edison


As a senior in college, I hear this again and again. Find what your passionate about, and find work there. To me, as a business major, it is tough to make sense of this. The job market is as tough as ever, and I'm willing to take whatever job I am offered. My goal is to eventually end up working in a field that I am passionate about e.g. sports, gaming, travelling, etc. But for now its all business.


However, the more I reflect on this quote, the more I see doors opening. I look at my brother, who turned down a job out of college to try and become a movie director in Hollywood. He's a long way from that distinction, and may never reach his goal, but he is surrounded by the industry that he loves. He works 5 days a week 12+ hours a day on a successful T.V. game show. He's move from a general PA to the head PA. While T.V. isn't his end goal, it is the means to get there, and he's having fun doing it.


What this boils down to is, if you're passionate about something, do it. Find a way into the industry and work from the bottom up. If the pay isn't good, work a second job. Eventually if you're passionate about it, and hustle, you will end up in a job you love doing. When you have a job you love doing, you truly will never work another day in your life. Remember, you only live this life once, so if you have the option of working for good money, but being miserable, or doing what you love, go with your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment