Tuesday, January 25, 2011

998. "It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish."

"It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish" -J.R.R. Tolkien

How many ideas have you had in your life that you thought were awesome? You thought you'd love to do this project. Perhaps building a new deck, or simply set up a lemonade stand. Than months later you realized you never even started it. I know personally to me this has happened often. Ive had ideas for websites, I wanted to write a book once, and even things as simple as cooking dinner Ive put off (thank you fast food).

To me this goes hand in hand with the old saying "why put off to tomorrow what you can do today." And I've also recently found how to answer this question. As stated in my first blog, #1000, I have started reading Richard Branson books, and the one I finished already is "Screw it, Let's do it". I really am starting to believe in this. Just the other day I was at a club with two of my roommates and some of my friends. All of a sudden my one roommate said "my cousin is having a house party in Philly, wanna go?" Everything inside me was saying "you know were already here, I'm comfortable here and Philly is 30-40 min away." However, I said screw it, lets do it! And it turned out that I ended up having 10x the fun I would have had if I stayed.

Not every decision you will make will turn out with a 10:1 worthwhile ratio, in fact some decisions might be worse, but if you never try it you will never know. You live life once, why not push yourself everyday? The more you turn those "no's" into "yes's" the more spontaneous fun you will begin to have. I know my life has become a lot more fun and interesting and I encourage all to start any ideas you might have in your head, just try them out. The sooner you start them, the sooner they will be complete and the greater the sense of accomplishment you will have.

No comments:

Post a Comment